Friday, January 27, 2012

Portabella Mushroom Sandwich

 One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. —-Virginia Woolf
For Lunch I made my version of a Portabella Sandwich! 
I am a vegetarian and also try to stay vegan as much as possible. For those who are first starting a vegetarian diet portabella mushrooms are perfect for supplementing into your meal instead of meat. Its thick and gives you substance and meaty texture.

Portabella Sandwich! Opened faced sandwich, less carbs and calories, all organic Tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, fresh spinach and an egg ( I like to do mainly vegan, but when I'm playing rugby and training I like to add a little protein, eggs are the best protein over milk and meat!!) asparagus and dill dip and for dessert Pineapple ( which has an active enzyme in it that helps with digestion, but is only present in fresh not canned, preserving and heating in canned pineapple kills it!)

 I love to EAT! Its the first thing I think about when I wake up and constant battle through out the day to make sure that I feed my body and mind.  Over the years I have noticed that not eating can really hurt me and my performance especially when I am training hard. So I am here to promote healthy eating and being able to indulge in your favorite treats without all the guilt!
Today when I was cooking I decided to use vegan butter, instead of olive oil just to give the mushroom a savory taste. Sometimes mushrooms give me a weird taste and I find I have to find things that will absorb into the mushroom to give it a better taste, and as we all know butter makes everything taste better! What I did was I started off with sauteing some butter and garlic and placing the mushie face down, then I added all the veggies around ( you can add any vegetables you want just make sure to chop them up small) to give the mushroom some extra added flavor. Cook to your own liking, if you want crispy then sear them at a high temp for short amount of time until they get brown and crispy or at a low temp and longer time to soften them up!


Recipe:
1 small portabella mushroom cap
1/4 an onion
1 small green onion
3 slices of a tomato
a handful of fresh spinach (or mix greens)
1 slice of organic sprouted bread
1 free range organic egg
(Also if you like to put mayo on your sandwiches , sub it for Hummus)

To cook-
Saute all veggies and mushroom in a pan, cook egg in separate pan over easy (or to your liking)
Cut up tomato and prepare spinach
Toast your bread or leave it soft
Then once it is all cooked and ready I layer the spinach first (so it gets warm and wilts a little bit), then tomato, egg and veggies!

4 asparagus 
Dill dip (1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise, lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper)

To cook asparagus- I am always in a rush with school and practice so time is precious. I take a paper towel roll the asparagus in it and dampen it with water, then i put it in the microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds.

I cup of Fresh Cut pineapple


2 comments:

  1. Mmmm! It looks delish. I used to get something simiar at Herbavore when I worked in Berkeley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to come home right now and cook this for me. That is an order :-) love ya dad

    ReplyDelete